4.21.2010

DIY Thursday: More Fabric Roses

Hey friends, remember this post where we learned together how to make sweet folded fabric roses? Well this past weekend, I finally had time to try my hand at it, and I'm pretty pleased with some of my results! Unfortunately, I'm the worst DIY blogger ever, because I always forget to take before or during pics, and all I have to show you is after shots. But I followed the instructions in my previous DIY post closely, making only minor alterations like cutting my fabric strips a little thinner because I discovered after making my first rose that I wanted mine to be not quite so tall.

I used several different types of fabric I already had on hand, and will describe each above the photos. My first try was some blue-striped cotton seersucker which I cut into strips on the bias. Here's my first little rose:


Not bad, but not great. "I got better!" (--Dennis,  Monty Python and the Holy Grail)


Then, I tried some light blue dupioni silk which produced a cool effect because I roughed up the raw edges a bit. The littlest two are really half strips which are only about 1/2" in width. They turned out smaller altogether, of course, but I like their shape better than the larger ones, actually. (Photographed on my lovely new Liberty of London platter from Target.)


Then I used some brightly-colored fun paisley printed rayon. I had a bit left over and made a bow which shows off the pattern better.


I think the roses that turned out best, though, were some I made with an old tank top I cut up. Just plain old cotton jersey -- t-shirt fabric -- and I really like how flat they lay and the shape of roses. Plus, the colors -- magenta, aqua, goldenrod, dark chocolate and caramel, are my favorites. Made a couple of bows to go along with these too.


So I had time last night to put glue these pretties onto a base with a brooch pin so that I can add them to bags and plain t-shirts.


Some of the other roses may be used in a similar way, although I know that I want to put some of them on headbands, and maybe even a larger bib necklace, although I'm not sure I'd have the moxie to wear it.

Please send me photos if you decide to try it! I intended just to do the seersucker ones, then got carried away (I tend to do that) and started cutting up all kinds of other things. I had a lot of fun: I spent about three hours making fabric roses last weekend altogether. But all you need's a hot glue gun and some scissors -- super easy!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the colors.
    following you now- stop by mine when you get a chance...

    www.paperflora2.blogspot.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaperFlora
    http://twitter.com/PaperFlora2

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin